Mastodon’s Bill Kelliher participated in what was essentially an “Ask Me Anything” on Lace Pickups’ Facebook page last night (incidentally, that’s the first time I’ve seen a Facebook page used in that manner). And since you have to be pretty into gear to nerd out about pickups, Mastofans did a good job prying some gear info out of him. Here’s what we learned:
– He doesn’t know any theory.
– He’s not a fan of Rick Rubin because the famous bearded producer doesn’t spend any time in the studio with the bands he records.
– Recording sessions for the new Mastodon album begin in November, and it will hopefully be completed by the new year.
– He usually plays Marshall or Friedman amps (he currently uses a Friedman BE 100) but he also digs the Orange Thunderverb.
– His new custom Lace Pickup, the Dissonant Aggressor, will be similar to Lace Pickups’ existing Nitro Hemi (which is currently in his guitars), but with a bit less gain.
– He plays D’Addario strings, 11-52 or 54 gauge.
– If he could recreate a guitar tone from his record collection, it would be the one from Neurosis’ Times Of Grace (do it man, call up Albini..)
– Bill’s computer apparently has a substandard mouse.
If you want to take a look at the entire thread head over to Lace Pickups’ Facebook page (you have to go to the “posts from others” section and find Bill’s post).