Welcome to Headbanger’s Kitchen! Every week we’ll be bringing you an episode of the show where Sahil “Demonstealer” Makhija cooks a spectacular meal for a metal band. Recipe and instructions for preparation are always included so you can make it at home. Hope you’re hungry!
By the time episode 4 came around I’d advanced to being permitted to upload videos longer than 15 minutes on YouTube, and hence we switched over to the single video format. This was a time when Djent was just taking shape, and there were 2 Indian artists who were starting to make waves globally. One was Vishal J Singh who was the one man army (Amogh Symphony) and the other one man machine Keshav Dhar and his project Skyharbor. It’s awesome that both projects are now full fledged bands. I was really getting into roasting entire birds and I thought of making a roast chicken for the two lads, of course it had to be a ‘Djentleman’s Roast Chicken’. Though both bands are far from being generic djent artists they had a few djenty sections so it seemed I could take the liberty.
(Fun fact. Keshav Dhar turned vegan about a year ago. I’ve promised to cook him something vegan the next time he comes over.)
Recipe and full cooking instructions below!
Djentleman’s Roast Chicken with Gravy
- 1 Full Roasting Chicken
- 1 Stick butter
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Thyme
- Chicken stock
- Olive Oil
- Mix the fresh herbs and garlic with the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the butter into two portions and insert one under the skin of each breast of the chicken
- Fill the cavity of the chicken with garlic, left over herbs and squeezed out lemons.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook in an oven preheated to 250 C for about an hour and 15 min.(approx 1 hour per KG)
- Remove and allow to rest.
- Transfer the juices from the pan into a saucepan and cook on medium heat
- Whisk in 2 table spoons of flour and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock and cook further for 5minutes
- Turn off gas and add some fresh lemon juice and serve with the chicken
- Boiled Potatoes
- Add the butter, milk, salt and pepper to the boiled potatoes
- Microwave for 2minutes will the butter melts.
- Mash till nice and creamy.
- Optionally you can add some herbs, cheese or anything else to give it a unique flavour.