Welcome to Headbanger’s Kitchen! Every week we’ll be bringing you an episode of the show where Sahil “Demonstealer” Makhija cooks a spectacular meal for a metal band. Recipe and instructions for preparation are always included so you can make it at home. Hope you’re hungry!
I would be lying if I said I was a big Gojira fan – I think they are a fantastic band, but their music never struck a chord with me til I heard their most recent album. So I’d say I’m a bigger fan now than I was before.
I had the pleasure of seeing them in 2010 at Brutal Assault in Czech Republic so I was quite excited to get to interview the Duplantier brothers (in the end it was just Joe but that’s another story). The first thing I was told is that both brothers were vegetarian, this was quite a challenge for me since I’m mostly into cooking meaty dishes but I love a good challenge so I selected my own personal favourite vegetarian dish, Chole Bhature. I first tried it and got the recipe from https://myfitnesshub.com/ to add on my diet and it turns out to be super delicious for a vegan dish.
Chole (or Channa Masala is as it is popularly called) is chick peas in a rich tomato and onion gravy, often spicy (I hate spicy food so mine is not spicy at all) and a deep fried Indian flatbread called Bhatura. The funny thing is I found out that he is sometimes vegetarian and not always because on tour it’s not always easy or possible. The whole thing was a big giant logistical mess for me due to some very inept promoters and in the end I interviewed him in this massive hall that reverberated like some cathedral and everything you said sounded like the voice of god. Nonetheless, it was an epic adventure and Joe was an absolute sweetheart. The best part of course was the band taking the rest of the food with them to the greenroom and polishing it off. Anyway, enjoy the recipe and the interview!
THE HEAVIEST CHOLE BHATURE IN THE UNIVERSE
FOR THE CHOLE/CHANNA MASALA
– 500 Grams of cooked chick peas/channa
– 1 Chopped Red Onion
– 2 Chopped Tomatoes
– 2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
– 1 Heaped Tsp Chole Masala
– 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
– Whole Garam Masala (2 Bay Leaf, 2 Cardomom Pods, 2 Cinnamon Sticks, 3-4 Cloves)
– Oil for frying
– Salt to taste
1. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the whole garam masalas.
2. Add in some cumin seeds as well as 1 whole green chilly
3. Add in the ginger garlic paste and cook out.
4. Add in the onion and cook till translucent.
5. Add in the tomatoes along with the ground spices, chilli powder and chole masala
6. Add in the water from the chick peas and let it cook for 10 minutes
7. Once the mixture has cooked for about 10 minutes add in the chick peas
8. Season to taste
9. Add fresh coriander to finish and serve!
FOR THE BHATURA
– 2 Cups AP Flour
– 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
– 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
– 1 Cup of Yoghurt
– 1 Tsp Sugar
– 1 Tsp Salt
– Oil for deep frying
1. Mix the baking soda and backing powder with the flour
2. Add in 1 cup of yoghurt and the sugar and salt
3. Knead everything to form a nice smooth dough
4. Apply some oil and leave to rest for 2 hours
5. Make smaller dough balls and roll out into circular discs
6. Deep fry those bad boys!!!
7. Serve with your channa masala